In Parts 1 and 2, the basic features of Huawei Band 4 (HB4) were discussed, as well as the results on the different workout modes.
Part 3 focuses on 2 cool features that I’ve been constantly using thru out the day. The heart rate and sleep monitoring.
Smart Heart Rate Tracking
HB4 uses the HUAWEI TruSeenTM 3.5 technology that monitors heart rate with accuracy as beats per minute or bpm.
BPM is of utmost importance for athletes, especially runners. Local races have had their share of fatalities in recent years. One cause may have been exceeding the bpm maximum limit for an extended period of time.
Huawei Health automatically computes one’s bpm maximum limit based on the user’s birthday on the profile settings (220 – age), and syncs the data to HB4. HB4 alerts the user when the limit is reached. For runners, that means the need to slow down. This is actually the feature that I always look for in fitness trackers, and HB4’s heart rate monitoring is great.
I also tested this feature while watching events during the South East Asian Games in the Philippines. It was amazingly so accurate! 60+ bpm at rest and going up to 105-120 bpm in hotly contested heart stopping games.
HB4 also records the heart rate continuously, and Huawei Health provides a detailed accurate chart/report for the day, week, month, and even year. HB4 also provides the heart rate range for the period, as well as the resting heart rate.
In my December 19th results, the gap means I was not wearing HB4 at the time. The spikes in the evening were due to my playing badminton.
Better Sleep for Healthy Living
Healthy sleep is the basis for healthy living. HUAWEI TruSleep™ 2.0 tracks the heart rate during sleep to recognize the four phases (deep sleep, light sleep, REM sleep, awake) and analyze the sleep quality.
Thru Huawei Health, results and analysis for the day, week, month, year are provided. Results are presented in color-coded charts and easily understood analyses.
More than identifying 6 types of sleep problems, it also provide suggestions to help users enjoy better sleep.
I don’t know how TruSleep 2.0 does it. But this is so amazing. It’s like having your own Sleep Doctor!
In summary, Huawei Band 4 has all the things that an average runner/athlete is looking for in an entry-level fitness tracker. I highly recommend Huawei Band 4 for the following reasons:
- Affordable price
- Sleek and stylish design that fits all wrist sizes
- Comes in 3 colors
- Easy charging sans a charging dock
- Fast charging, about 1-1.5 hours
- Battery life depends on usage. In my case about 6-7 days.
- Fast pairing with Huawei Health app and Fast GPS detection
- Easier handsfree use via wrist shake (Great feature!)
- Ease of usage
- Has 9 workout modes
- Records number of steps, calories burned, and bpm thru out the day
- Very fast synchronization of data with Huawei Health
- Accurate heart rate tracking
- Amazing sleep monitoring
- Reliable results presented in easily understood charts and analyses via Huawei Health
- Water Resistance rating of 5 ATM (50 meters). This means that HB4 is safe to wear while walking in the rain or showering, and may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or even surfing.
What are other cool features that you want for a smart fitness tracker?